Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

There’s Light at the End of the Tunnel- Cambodian Genocide


Today's blog by Elizabeth Sreng is a historical and personal account about the Cambodian Genocide. She has written a personal account from memories of her family. This gives us a real understanding of what happened to the people during this very difficult time. Thank you Elizabeth and to her family for sharing their story.  I hope you will be inspired by their determination and perseverance. Mrs. Jordan



Historical Context:
On April 17, 1975, a devastating thing occurred in the country called Cambodia in South Eastern Asia.  It’s a date that is remembered by many who suffered during this genocide. Genocide is the deliberate and systematic extermination of a national, racial, political, or cultural group. What makes this genocide stand out above the rest is that it occurred between the people of the same country. A group of Cambodians, known as the Khmer Rouge went against the base and the new people. They forced them to leave their homes in the city to move to the countryside. They lied and told them that those areas were unoccupied, when in fact, they were. They were also told to leave all their possessions because they would be back in three days, but this was also another lie. In addition,they told them that the Americans were going to bomb them, but this is was also a lie. The reason for this lie is to ensure that there would be very little resistance. Furthermore, in the countryside, they were forced to work in tough conditions and were given barely any food. Most of the people were dying of starvation and were filled with diseases. Babies were not being nurtured and many couldn’t survive during this harsh time. When asked what occupation they were, people would have to lie in order to live. If you were an intellectual, then you were killed on the spot. This was to ensure that no one would be smart enough to rebel against the leader, Pol Pot. Their slogan was: “To spare you is no profit, to destroy you is no loss.” Some people were forced to dig deep graves and then were hit in the head with a bamboo stick and kicked into the hole to fall to their death. Two million people died in the span of three years and in 1979,finally the genocide came to an end.


Summary:
         Among the two million people that were killed during this genocide, there were many survivors and four of them live with me: both my parents and grandparents. They have told me many stories about it and we have watched the Killing Fields together. I’m amazed that they were able to survive; I don’t think that I would’ve been able to. My mother was taken away from her family. She told me once that she was allowed to come visit her parents, my grandparents, once every two months. She had to walk four miles to get back home and part of the time she was in a cemetery. She told me that it was really scary. In addition, after getting home, she had to walk another mile to fetch water in big pales for her grandmother. She would also steal some food from the neighbor and was beat until her back bled. She was given barely any food in the area where she was working. She was only eleven at the time, so this was extremely tough. Since she didn’t get the vitamins that she needed from food, she stopped growing and is now only 4’ 10’’.  In addition to that, she had to carry heavy objects on both her head and shoulder, objects that were heavier than her. She wasn’t allowed to say that she was sick because they would kill you if you were sick. If you couldn’t work for any reason, they had no reason to keep you alive. She witnessed her peers being severely beaten because they didn’t finish their assigned task in the time given.
         My grandparents were very well liked because my grandma was a hard worker and so was my grandpa in addition to kissing up to them every chance he got. If they weren’t liked, then, they wouldn’t be alive today. If they weren’t alive today, then there wouldn’t be Elizabeth Sreng. My grandma had to lie about her occupation when she told them that she was a grocery seller when in fact she was a computer programmer, which at the time was one of the highest paying jobs, which is a threat to the Khmer Rouge. Her two older brothers, on the other hand, couldn’t lie because they always lived in the country and were known for being teachers. My grandma had to watch them being taken away to be murdered when they were told that they were just being moved to work in a different city. It was heartbreaking and spent countless nights crying over the loss of her only brothers, nieces and nephews. My grandpa had to pick up human waste from house to house in buckets every morning and delivered them to people who would deliver them to a farm to be used as manure for the plants. My grandparents, mom and uncle had to escape to Thailand in December of 1979. Here, they had to stay at camps until my great-grandma on my grandpa’s side sponsored them to come live in America. At the time, she worked with the American Embassy and was brought to America in April of 1975, right before the genocide occurred. They arrived here in July 1980 and they’ve been here ever since.
         Furthermore, my father, who was only thirteen when the genocide took place, had quite a different experience from my mother because the area where he worked wasn’t as harsh on them and he got to live with his parents. My father worked on the farm with his father for most of the day and then would help chop up vegetables for the whole village to eat. The worst thing that he experienced was watching some of his siblings getting severely ill and not being able to get cured due to the lack of medicine. His siblings were forced to go work away from the family and didn’t have much food to eat, while he, living at home, had enough to eat. He also witnessed his uncle being taken away to be slaughtered due to his occupation as a teacher. His experience during this time wasn’t as bad as my mom’s and grandparents. He learned how to plant vegetables from his dad and got to spend quality time working alongside his father every day. Although, he enjoyed learning how to do this, he didn’t like the fact that he had to carry huge buckets of water to water fields of vegetables during hot days. He was very fortunate that his dad requested to let him stay and help him work with the planting and watering of vegetables. It wasn’t that he was the favorite out of the eight; it was only because he was the best at the job. His parents were separated from most of their children because their children were forced to leave and work. They would cry every night missing their children. My father was the only one that got to stay and live at home.
         As you can see, most Cambodians at the time, including my family, have suffered tremendous amounts of trauma, but in a way it forced them to become stronger and hard working. Although they spent three years and eight months hiding away from the truth, being tortured, and watching their family members being prosecuted, they still believe that knowledge is the key to having a successful life which is what they try to pass on to me. Both my parents came here at the ages of sixteen (mother) and twenty (father) not speaking a word of English. Despite this fact, they were still able to graduate from Cal State Long Beach with bachelor’s degrees and became great teachers. Listening to their stories has inspired me to work hard, so that one day, I can become whoever I want to be.
         I hope you have enjoyed their stories as much as I have.  

Questions to ponder:
Why did the Cambodians choose to go against their own people?
Why were the people living in some of the parts of the country treated differently when communists claim that everything had to be equal?

About our Blogger:
My name is Elizabeth Sreng and I am a sophomore. My hobbies include reading books hanging out with friends, and watching Glee. I chose to write about the Cambodian genocide because I am fascinated by my family’s stories and how they survived. I don’t think that I could have survived the torture, being separated from my parents, and the lack of food. I hope this will help you understand how tough it was to be living in Cambodia during this time period. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for responding to our topic.